Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Canvas #140: Art Gallery of Calgary / Calgary Chinese Cultural Centre, Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Catherine has created such a lovely piece for the project, and left it in such a cool place, too!


Catherine writes, I am an educator at a contemporary gallery in Calgary (The AGC), and we were hosting a Family Fun day where kids would be coming in with their guardians to draw their ideal Halloween costumes.  I placed the canvas on the table along with some children's Halloween books and all sorts of art materials. 

I was inspired by Mexican Day of the Dead Masks.  I wanted to show that even past the point of living on Earth that there are still things that live on--Love for example!  Although it was a bit morbid to choose Death Masks, I thought that in the spirit of Halloween, that this would be a recognizable symbol of things that live beyond death.  "Love is Eternal" is hopefully a message that resonates with many as something positive and inspirational.

Later I placed the canvas in the mouth of the Lion at the gates of the Calgary Chinese Cultural Center but unfortunately I haven't seen anything on the website of it being found...yet!


All the imagery and symbolism in Catherine's piece is great, isn't it? And how awesome is it that Catherine left it at her gallery for kids to see?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sponsors